Carrollton in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Union Baptist Church
Earliest Baptist Church in Dallas County; organized in a pioneer cabin, May 10, 1846, under leadership of the Rev. David Myers (1797-1853). Charter members were Franklin Bowles, J. B. and Margaret Ann Lee, Letticia (Mrs. David) Myers, and John Miller Myers. Sarah and Thomas Keenan and Narcissus Wilburn joined soon afterward. The Baptists, aided by other settlers, in 1847 built their first meeting house on land given by Thomas and Sarah Keenan, near Keenan Cemetery (2.4 mi. SSW), in present Farmers Branch. The Rev. David Myers, the original pastor, served until his death in 1853. Within a generation, Union Church was relocated in Carrollton, and by 1871 was occupying its third site. In May 1896, at a 3-day semicentennial celebration, a fourth sanctuary was dedicated on A.W. Perry land. The Perry Cemetery (1.3 mi. NNW) marks that site. As town grew toward the railroads, the church had moved by 1911 to Belt Line Road at Myers Street. In time it became the College Avenue Baptist Church. In 1961 present facilities were established, and the name was changed to Highland Baptist Church. From the beginning, Union Church had an important role
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6907.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 57.831′ N, 96° 53.818′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Perry Road, on the left when traveling north. The marker is in the northern section of the Perry Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1805 Perry Road, Carrollton TX 75006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Perry Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Alex W. and Sarah Perry Homestead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Blanton Grain Tower (approx. one mile away); St. John Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Korean Texans (approx. 1.7 miles away); Warner Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carrollton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.