Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Alton Cemetery

 
 
Old Alton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 5, 2020
1. Old Alton Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

With burials dating to 1852, this graveyard is associated with some of the earliest settlement in Denton County. In that year, Rebecca Daugherty, daughter of one of the pioneer families, died and was buried on family property. Over time, burials of neighbors and relatives continued on the site, and in 1909 the land was donated and dedicated as a private cemetery.

Alton was the county seat of Denton County from 1851 until 1856. Located on Hickory Creek, the community flourished with stores, a hotel, post office, school and other businesses. Nearby is the Hickory Creek Baptist Church, organized in the Alton community in 1855. When the county seat was moved to Denton in 1856, Alton began to decline, but many families continued to bury their dead in this cemetery.

The graveyard contains more than 600 burials, including 20 graves that are unmarked and 55 burials that are marked only with rocks or sandstone. Pioneers, veterans and others with ties to the old Alton community rest here. The Old Alton Memorial Cemetery Association cares for the graves and gathers annually in the spring for Decoration Day. As the area becomes
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
more urban, the Old Alton Cemetery stands as a reminder of the region's rural past.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12601.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 33° 8.126′ N, 97° 6.312′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Teasley Lane, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5720 Teasley Lane, Denton TX 76202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rector Road Bridge at Guyer High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Alton Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1848 Denton County Seat (approx. 1.8 miles away); Annie Webb Blanton (approx. 1.8 miles away); Chinn’s Chapel Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chinn's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Argyle United Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Graham Argyle Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
 
Old Alton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 5, 2020
2. Old Alton Cemetery Marker
Old Alton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 5, 2020
3. Old Alton Cemetery Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=148685

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024