Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Bardane in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Peter Burr / William Burr Houses

West Virginia 9

 

— Charles Town to Martinsburg —

 
Peter Burr / William Burr Houses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 25, 2020
1. Peter Burr / William Burr Houses Marker
Inscription.  
On the east side of WV 9 is one of the oldest standing frame (post and beam) buildings in West Virginia. It was constructed in three sections, with the oldest, 1½-story eastern section dating between 1751 and 1755. The voids between the studs that frame the house were infilled with brick and mortar, then plastered, and covered with clapboards. Elements on the earliest portion of the building, such as the steeply pitched (medieval form) saltbox roof, small windows, and tall massive chimney, reflect New England building traditions brought to Virginia with its builder, Peter Burr I, who arrived from Connecticut around 1748.

After constructing the home, Peter Burr I returned to New England, where he died in 1777. His son, Peter Burr II, resided there instead, raising a family of 13 children by two successive wives. Though of prominent background, with family ties to the first president of Princeton University and the third vice president of the United States, Beter Burr held no public office, but remained a yeoman farmer throughout his life. To accommodate a growing family throughout his life. To accommodate a growing family,
Peter Burr / William Burr Houses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 25, 2020
2. Peter Burr / William Burr Houses Marker
he added the (western) log addition to the house in the 1760s. It was not until circa 1804, under different ownership, that the log and earlier frame sections were connected by a beam and board middle addition. Following Peter Burr's death in 1793, the house was inherited by his son, Peter III, who sold it out of the family before emigrating to Ohio in 1798. The 1886 purchase by John McGarry, a descendent of Peter Burr, brought the house back under Burr family control.

The Peter Burr house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the home of a prominent early settler in the region and as a rare surviving example of early settlement-period post and beam architecture. In 1976, the house was designated a Jefferson County Historic Landmark, for being one of the oldest extant structures in the State of West Virginia. The Landmarks Commission acquired the house and began restoration efforts in 1998.

Opposite the Peter Burr House, on the west side of WV 9, is the William Burr House, located on the property that Peter Burr II bequeathed to his son, William, in 1793. The house was constructed in 1809 in the Greek Revival style. Later it was owned by West Virginia State Senator Milton Burr, from 1919 to 1922. Burr was important to the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution concerning women's suffrage.
 
Erected by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia 9 🛣️, and the Women's Suffrage 🗳️ series lists.
 
Location. 39° 21.5′ N, 77° 51.654′ W. Marker is in Bardane, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Route 9 Bike Path 0.4 miles south of Luther Jones Road (County Road 16/4), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 241 Edmond Rd, Kearneysville WV 25430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peter Burr House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hockensmith Apple Storage Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Greenback Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); Valley View / Tackley Farm (approx. ¾ mile away); Gap View Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); York Hill (approx. 1½ miles away); General William Darke (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named General William Darke (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bardane.
 
More about this marker.
Images:
1, 2. Ca. 1935 photographs from the Historic American Building Survey reproduced from the collections of the Library of Congress.
3. 1997 photograph by Michael Baker Jr., Inc., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021