Rancho Cucamonga in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1950 by Ontario Parlor No 251 Native Daughters of the Golden West, Los Ranchos Parlor No. 283 Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 490.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West, and the U.S. Route 66 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is March 3, 1839.
Location. 34° 6.434′ N, 117° 36.625′ W. Marker is in Rancho Cucamonga, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Foothill Boulevard (Route 66) and Vineyard Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Foothill Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8916 Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga CA 91730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tapia Adobe Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct Cucamonga Labor Camp (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Pavement (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Cucamonga Labor Camp (approx. 0.6 miles away); El Camino Real Bells (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bear Gulch (approx. 0.8 miles away); Magic Lamp Inn (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rancho Cucamonga.
Regarding Cucamonga Winery.
This marker is California Historical Landmark No. 490.
(Text on the sign in Photo No. 3)
The Thomas Winery . . . More than a century of service.
This was California's oldest commercial winery. The winery's two 1400 gallon oak aging casks were not "coopered" locally, but were carried "around the Horn" on a clipper ship!
Missionaries brought grape vines to Mexico and California in the late 1700s to provide sacramental wines. In fact, the Mission San Gabriel vineyard provided the Black Mission Grape cuttings used by Tapia to establish his Mother Vineyard in 1839: twelve rows each with forty-seven plants. Six years later, his 13,000-acre property contained more than 3400 vines.
Thomas Vineyard's grape wines were complemented by a wide variety of other fruit base wines including cherry, red currant, raspberry, blackberry, loganberry, apple (hard cider) and apricot. At its peak, the winery's extensive offerings were enjoyed both by local residents and Route 66 travelers.
Additional keywords. California Historical Landmark No. 490
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2006, by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. This page has been viewed 3,799 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on April 29, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1. submitted on May 8, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 2, 3. submitted on May 29, 2006, by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. 4, 5. submitted on May 8, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.