Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Ewingville / Alexander Ewing

 
 
Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker image. Click for full size.
May 11, 2020
1. Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker
Inscription.  

Ewingville
The local newspaper reported in 1875 that Ewingville "is to Franklin what West End is to London; what Brooklyn is to New York; what Edgefield is to Nashville." Ewingville begins on the east bank of the Harpeth River and extends on both sides of Murfreesboro Road, formerly known as Chrisman's Mill Turnpike, to the vicinity of Mack Hatcher Parkway. In the years after the Civil War, speculators such as T.K. Handy, D.R. Crutcher, and A.C. Vaughn purchased and subdivided land along the pike. The community of Ewingville became home to a growing middle class of farmers, tradesmen, and professionals. While several original homes have been demolished for 20th Century residential development, there remains a number of houses built between 1815 and 1899. Among them are the homes of Eddy, Ewing, Haffner, Lawrence, Mount, Nevils, Shannon, and Vaughn.
In Memory of Steve and Lucille Vaden Murrey

Alexander Ewing
(1752 - 1822)
Upon completion of service as a Virginia Revolutionary War officer, Alexander Ewing relocated to the Cumberland Settlement of Middle Tennessee, building a home near White's
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Creek in Davidson County. On December 8, 1787 he purchased a 640 acre land grant on the Big Harpeth River from the heirs of John Donelson. Carnton Plantation bordered Ewing's land to the south and in time, the Ewing and McGavock families became united through marriage and commerce. Although Alexander Ewing never lived on the site, his descendants have occupied the house built by Ewing's son, John Love Ewing, for over 200 years. Spanning five generations, Alexander C. Ewing, Hubbard Saunders Ewing, Sallie Ewing Roberts, Ewing Roberts Green, and John M. Green Jr. have lived in the house.
In Memory of Jack and Juanita Arnold Murrey
 
Erected by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 35° 55.24′ N, 86° 51.823′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Murfreesboro Road (Tennessee Route 96) half a mile west of Eddy Lane, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Murfreesboro Road, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker image. Click for full size.
May 11, 2020
2. Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker
within walking distance of this marker. Fort Granger (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Section Foreman's House / Pioneers' Corner (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 600 feet away); General Granger and Emancipation (about 600 feet away); Franklin Railroad Depot (about 800 feet away); The Rainey House (approx. ¼ mile away); Andrew C. Vaughn House (approx. ¼ mile away); Perkins-Winstead House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker image. Click for full size.
April 29, 2020
3. Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker
Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker image. Click for full size.
April 29, 2020
4. Ewingville / Alexander Ewing Marker
Dr. A.H. Ewing House (1910) image. Click for full size.
May 11, 2020
5. Dr. A.H. Ewing House (1910)
This house is located at Third Avenue and South Margin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2020. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2020.   3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2020.   5. submitted on May 11, 2020. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149068

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024