Near Franklin Springs in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge
The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1845. Prior to the Civil War, the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently, the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had ceased by 1943. In 1907, the county contracted with James M. Hunt to build the present 110-foot bridge. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge's web of planks crisscrossing at 45-to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. Will Cromer, a descendant of the original family, built the stone abutments.
Erected 2000 by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration. (Marker Number 59-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 34° 16.495′ N, 83° 15.963′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin Springs GA 30639, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Federal Road Historic District (approx. 5½ miles away); Hebron Presbyterian Church (approx. 6½ miles away); Carroll's Methodist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Franklin County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Franklin Springs (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 6.9 miles away); Original Site and Portions (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,592 times since then and 174 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on February 12, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.