Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Pyle Clinic

(1941-1958)

 
 
The Pyle Clinic Marker (Side One) image. Click for full size.
May 4, 2020
1. The Pyle Clinic Marker (Side One)
Inscription.  
Dr. Walter Pyle (1908-1977) opened his clinic at 407 Church Street in 1941. He acquired this property from C.W. Harper for $700, building the block and stucco structure for $7,000. As one of the few local full-service clinics, the Pyle Clinic is said to have been the birthplace of more than one-third of Williamson Countians through the 1940s and 1950s. In 1947, Dr. Pyle bought the house next door to the clinic and attached the two structures, opening the second of three hospitals operating in the county. The other medical facilities included the German Hospital and Dr. Johnson's Clinic. Physicians who practiced at the Pyle Clinic included Drs. Adolphus Bray, Parker Elrod, C.F. Luckey, Vincent DiRenzo, and William Encke.

Nurses practicing at the clinic included head nurse Sara Sherrod, Mildred Stanfield, Polly Johnson, Francis Jackson, and Bonnie Green. An office visit to the clinic cost about $2, or $4 for an overnight hospital stay. It was not unusual for payment to be offered through bushels of garden produce, home-baked pies, or fresh game. The Pyle Clinic and Hospital closed in late 1958, after the original Williamson
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County Hospital opened on West Main Street. Since then, the building has gone on to serve the community. It operated as the Department of Human Services for over twenty years, and more recently has been the of several successful locally owned businesses.

Courtesy of Dr. James and Anita Tilley

 
Erected 2007 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
 
Location. 35° 55.354′ N, 86° 52.192′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Church Street, 0.1 miles west of 3rd Avenue South, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Church St, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dan German Hospital (about 300 feet away); Franklin Historic District - Historic Home (about 300 feet away); Tennessee Female College (about 400 feet away); Lewisburg Avenue Historic District (about 600 feet away); Watson House (c. 1881)
The Pyle Clinic Marker (Side Two) image. Click for full size.
May 4, 2020
2. The Pyle Clinic Marker (Side Two)
(about 700 feet away); 403-405 Main Street (about 700 feet away); Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
The Pyle Clinic Marker image. Click for full size.
April 29, 2020
3. The Pyle Clinic Marker
The Pyle Clinic Marker image. Click for full size.
May 4, 2020
4. The Pyle Clinic Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2020. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2020. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149351

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024