Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

New Red Rock Cemetery

 
 
New Red Rock Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 4, 2020
1. New Red Rock Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  As early as the 1850s, settlers of the community of Red Rock had established homes in this area. In 1870, the Red Rock Post Office opened, and by the mid-1870s, the settlement supported the Red Rock Male and Female Academy. The town grew, with about 150 residents by the mid-1880s. In 1890, the MK&T Railroad built about one mile east of Red Rock, and residents moved their homes and businesses here. The growing community established this cemetery in 1913, when L.A. and Adirenne Turner conveyed one acre of land to trustees L.G. Ellis, Gus Jung and N.B. Harris. The first documented burial is that of S.B. Harris, who died on April 22, 1913.

In 1922, the cemetery's Turner Section was established when the Turners donated an additional quarter acre. In 1952, the Rev. Eugene Stewart Neuenschwander deeded almost half an acre to the cemetery, and in 1965 and 1993, the Petty family donated land and lots to the cemetery association, which maintains the burial ground today.

Burials include those of military veterans and members of fraternal organizations, as well as generations of area residents, forever linking the New Red Rock Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to the community's rich history.
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13845.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical date for this entry is April 22, 1913.
 
Location. 29° 57.808′ N, 97° 27.379′ W. Marker is near Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 812, 0.4 miles west of Farm to Market Road 20, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Red Rock TX 78662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Red Rock Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rockne (approx. 2.7 miles away); Samuel Wolfenberger (approx. 4˝ miles away); Saint John Colony (approx. 5˝ miles away); Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 9 miles away); Jeffrey Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away); Isham Jones Good (approx. 9.1 miles away); Lincecum Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bastrop.
 
New Red Rock Cemetery Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 4, 2020
2. New Red Rock Cemetery Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149379

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024