Seagoville in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1870, James J. Lee (1820-1901), a Confederate Army veteran from Mississippi, donated land for this cemetery, stipulating that no charges were to be made for plots. The 1.125-acre tract was the first cemetery in southeast Dallas County. Among the 1,500 burials are Lee and members of his family, Gen. James S. Raines (1817-1880), an officer in the Mexican War, 1846; some 60 people of Mexican descent; and a slave brought here in 1855. Land deeded for hitching horses has become part of the parking lot. The burial ground is maintained by Lee Cemetery, Inc.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6758.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, Mexican-American.
Location. 32° 39.302′ N, 96° 33.39′ W. Marker is in Seagoville, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on U.S. 175, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1706 Seagoville Road, Seagoville TX 75159, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies Seagoville Enemy Alien Detention Station, World War II (approx. ¾ mile away); Potter Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Kleberg (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rylie Prairie (approx. 5.4 miles away); Rylie Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); City of Crandall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Pleasant Grove Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bennett Family Gardens (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 7, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.