Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hopewell, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Quartermaster Repair Shops

Four Centuries: City Point, Virginia 1613 A.D.

 
 
Quartermaster Repair Shops Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 8, 2020
1. Quartermaster Repair Shops Marker
Inscription.  
The Quartermaster Department was responsible for the transportation of the Army, storage and transportation of supplies, clothing, camp and garrison equipage, horses, forage, fuel, maintenance of buildings and repair of equipment.

Captain Edward J. Strang was in charge of the repair shops, located nearby, which employed more than 1,600 blacksmiths, wheelwrights, carpenters, saddlers, teamsters, laborers and clerks. These men were responsible for the maintenance and repair of army equipment. Quarters were built next to the repair shops to house Strang’s employees.

Captain Strang’s wharf was located below the intersection of Pecan Avenue and Water Street on the James River. The wharf extended along 190 feet of the waterfront and covered 26,344 sq. ft. A one story frame store house was constructed on the wharf.

[Captions:]
Workshop, Quartermaster Department, west side, January, 1865.

City Point had more than its share of sutlers' outlets catering to the needs of civilians and soldiers alike. Sutlers were basically small businessmen who obtained lucrative contracts from the army
Quartermaster Repair Shops Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, May 8, 2020
2. Quartermaster Repair Shops Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
to sell food, clothing, writing materials, and other goods to the soldiers. City Point not only had the traditional sutlers but restaurants, eating houses, and even a hotel. On the southwest corner of Water Street and Pecan Avenue stood several eating establishments. Fresh oysters were a particular attraction. Army-built steps led up to more buildings and tents belonging to sutlers. The building to the left of the stairs was the post office.

 
Erected 2013 by City of Hopewell, Commonwealth of Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1865.
 
Location. 37° 18.959′ N, 77° 16.409′ W. Marker is in Hopewell, Virginia. Marker is on Pecan Avenue, 0.1 miles east of Prince Henry Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1199 Pecan Ave, Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clearing the Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Indians near City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named City Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Taverns (about 500 feet away, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
in a direct line); Housing Several Thousand Federal Troops (about 500 feet away); Historic City Point (about 500 feet away); One Soldier, One Family, One War (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopewell.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149550

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021