Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonel Michael Swope House

 
 
Colonel Michael Swope House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, May 10, 2020
1. Colonel Michael Swope House Marker
Inscription.  This house was built between 1784-1786 by Colonel Michael Swope, a Revolutionary War Battalion Commander, and his wife, Eva Kuhn Swope. Originally from York, PA, Colonel Swope was taken prisoner by the British at the beginning of the war and was exchanged for Benjamin Franklin's loyalist son following the war. He and his family moved to Alexandria in 1784, where he owned a ship chandlery. The house remained in the Swope family until 1823.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1784.
 
Location. 38° 48.194′ N, 77° 2.532′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on Prince Street just east of South Fairfax Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 Prince Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Elisha Cullen Dick (a few steps from this marker); The Fairfax House (within shouting distance of this marker); Green & Brother Furniture (within shouting
The Colonel Michael Swope House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, May 10, 2020
2. The Colonel Michael Swope House
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); Residence of General William Brown, M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); George Johnston's Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gazette House (about 300 feet away); 115 Prince Street (about 300 feet away); Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 122 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149717

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022