Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Grassland Community

 
 
Grassland Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
1. Grassland Community Marker
Inscription.  This site was part of a 1784 land grant to heirs of Wm. Leaton, Jr. The tract was settled in the late 1820s by W. Leaton III. By 1801 John Campbell, John Stuart, Ephriam Brown, Wm. Tarkington, and Joseph German were living in this area. Later Grassland families were Leigh, Motheral, Fullton, Sneed, Murrey, Armstrong, Hulme, Greer, Moran, Wray, and Hughes. In 1846, Prior Smith bought the Leaton farm and enlarged the two-room log cabin, the district's first voting place, to a ten-room house known as the Jeff Moran home. The community had blacksmith shops, country stores, a post office (1879-1902), and Grassland School. Bethlehem United Methodist Church was organized in 1848.
 
Erected 1997 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1784.
 
Location. 36° 0.683′ N, 86° 53.336′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Hillsboro Road (U.S. 431) and Boxwood Drive, on the right when traveling south
Grassland Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
2. Grassland Community Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Hillsboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montpier (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel Claybrook Locke (approx. half a mile away); Motheral/Moran House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Motheral-Ring Family of Locust Guard (approx. 0.9 miles away); Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland (approx. 0.9 miles away); Beechville (approx. 1.9 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Stone Wall / Berry's Chapel Community (approx. 2.2 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Church of Christ (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  With hints of change, Grassland has kept its quiet community spirit. Community profile in the Oct. 13, 2017 edition of The Tennessean. (Submitted on May 11, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149815

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021