Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mustang Ridge in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Harris Cemetery

 
 
Harris Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
1. Harris Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Sidon H. Harris and his family arrived in Texas in 1851, and moved to this vicinity in 1856. Harris and his wife, Amanda, bought two parcels of land, and this family cemetery was begun when Sidon died in 1861. Two Harris children were buried here in 1862, followed by Amanda in 1866. Descendants later sold the land, with the understanding that the cemetery would be maintained. Destruction of the cemetery in 1984 led to the replacement of the original grave markers. The cemetery reflects the history of an early Caldwell County family.
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9777.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
 
Location. 30° 1.502′ N, 97° 40.224′ W. Marker is near Mustang Ridge, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 1854. Marker is .1 miles southwest of road through unmarked gate. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dale TX 78616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Kings Highway Camino Real — Old San Antonio Road (approx. 2.2 miles away); Polonia Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); a different marker also named Kings Highway Camino Real — Old San Antonio Road (approx. 6.3 miles away); Martin Church of Goforth (approx. 6˝ miles away); Elroy (approx. 7.1 miles away); Dr. Jacob Tally Wilhite (approx. 7.6 miles away); Goforth (approx. 7.6 miles away); Saint John Colony (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Harris Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, May 11, 2020
2. Harris Cemetery and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149822

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024