Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Our Spanish Heritage

 
 
Our Spanish Heritage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 19, 2014
1. Our Spanish Heritage Marker
(tablet on right side of monument)
Inscription.  Spain came first to our shores in 1519, and her maps gave first to the world knowledge of our lands — Piñeda, De Soto, and then Gálvez.

Returning in 1780, she conquered, and wise and benign, ruled for thirty-three years this city, whose citizens first received the land upon which this plaza stands.

In the iridescent fabric of our heritage the threads of Spain are woven strong and bright.

In commemoration of her influences, and joining with her in this monument, Mobile dedicates this Plaza to Spain and her peoples, and toward the principle of strengthening the ties of friendship which have endured for more than four centuries.

Marble Mosaic Coat of Arms of Spain
Vicinte Rodilla Zanón
of Valencia
• Sculptor 1967 •

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraExplorationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1519.
 
Location. 30° 41.305′ N, 88° 2.756′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is on Government Street (U.S. 90) east of South
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Hamilton Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in Spanish Plaza Park, facing Government Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Government Street, Mobile AL 36602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Isabel La Catolica (within shouting distance of this marker); Crown & Scepter of Isabel (within shouting distance of this marker); 400 Government Street 1860 (within shouting distance of this marker); Mobile's Spanish Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Colt (within shouting distance of this marker); Hernando de Soto (within shouting distance of this marker); Barton Academy (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Le Marquis de Lafayette visited Mobile (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Mobile, Alabama: Conquistadors: 1519 to 1559 (Wikipedia). Spanish explorers were sailing into the area of Mobile Bay as early as 1500, with the bay being marked on early Spanish maps as the Bahía del Espíritu Santo (Bay of the Holy Spirit). The area was explored in more detail in 1516 by Diego de Miruelo and in 1519 by Alonso Álvarez de Pineda. Hernando de Soto explored the area of Mobile Bay and beyond in 1540, finding the area inhabited by a Muscogee Native American people. (Submitted on May 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Marble Mosaic Coat of Arms of Spain image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 19, 2014
2. Marble Mosaic Coat of Arms of Spain
(front center of monument)
 

2. Spanish Plaza Park. Spanish Plaza Park was created to honor Mobile’s sister city, Malaga, Spain. Centrally located at 401 Government Street, the park features sculptures, statues and other art showing the influence that Spain had over the area. (Submitted on May 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Mobile Spanish Plaza Monument (<i>back side</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 19, 2014
3. Mobile Spanish Plaza Monument (back side)
Historic & Cultural Mission Tablet image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 19, 2014
4. Historic & Cultural Mission Tablet
(back center Mobile Spanish Plaza Monument)

Mobile’s Spanish Plaza, a project of the Mobile Historic Development Commission, was made a reality through the direct efforts and pilgrimage of Mobile’s Historic and Cultural Mission to Spain —
March, 1965.

George E. McNally, Chief of Mission
C. Dewey Crowder, Director of Mission
Doris Bender • Roy Barden • Robert Bell • Mario Bermudez • J. Gaines Betbeze • Elizabeth Cleveland • Mary Donna Crawford • Jessie Cole • Val Davis • Anita Denniston • Augustine Ellis • Flor England • Robert Harrison • Joseph & Natasha Killian • Zella Lazenby • Ruth Lipscomb • Gulnare Logan • Emily McNally • W.N. & Genevieve Owen • Abe Phillips • Isabel & Porter Pope • Ida Rutherford • Edward Schulze • Lucille Trimmier • Bruce & Patti Wellington • A.W. & Mildred Williams • Mary Leila Williams • Gordon & Eleanor Wright
Mobile’s Spanish Plaza (Plaza de Espana) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 19, 2014
5. Mobile’s Spanish Plaza (Plaza de Espana)
(tablet on left side of monument)
A joint venture between the peoples of Mobile and the peoples of Spain.

Mobile’s Spanish Plaza, a part of the East Church Street Redevelopment Project, Church Street Historic District, has been established as a result of the common desire and the generous and imaginative cooperation of the following governmental bodies and historic groups to honor Spain and Mobile’s rich Spanish heritage.

Board of Commissioners
Joseph N. Lanagan
Lambert C. Mims
Arthur R. Outlaw


Mobile Housing Board
Joseph H. Wilson, Jr., Chairman
Max W. Morgan, Vice Chairman
Ray E. Moore, Jr., Commissioner
John L. Leflore, Commissioner
Charles Bedsole, Commissioner


Spanish Cultural Institute
Exmo. Sr. D. Gregor Marañón, Director General
Exmo. Sr. D. Enrique Suarez de Puga, Secretary General


Spanish Cities
Barcelona, Córdoba, Granada, Madrid, Málaga, Marbella, Seville, Tarragona, Toledo, Valencia

All Fifty-three Spanish Provinces
Mobile Historic Development Commission
Mobile Historic and Cultural Mission to Spain

Dedicated this twenty-first day of March 1968
Dewey Crowder Associates, A.I.A.
Architect, Engineer, Planner
Martin Builders
Contractor
Michael A. Guarino, P.E.
Mobile Projects Architectural Engineer
Mobile Spanish Plaza Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 19, 2014
6. Mobile Spanish Plaza Monument
(Our Spanish Heritage tablet on right side)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149975

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 27, 2023