Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fifth U.S. Cavalry
Reserve Brigade - First Division - Cavalry Corps
Army of the Potomac
Reserve Brigade First Division
Fifth U.S. Cavalry
Captain Julius W. Mason Commanding
Detachment at Headquarters Army of the Potomac
Casualties Wounded 4 men. Missing 1 man.
Erected 1907 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant day of the year for for this entry is July 3.
Location. 39° 46.639′ N, 77° 15.23′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker can be reached from Ridge Road, on the left when traveling north. The tablet is located a short walk off Ridge Road along what once was Merritt Avenue. The avenue was removed by the park service and is maintained as a foot trail only. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1st & 2nd Regiments United States Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away); 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chaplain Samuel Henry Stein (approx. 0.4 miles away); Reilly's Battery - Henry's Battalion (approx. half a mile away); Battery K, First U.S. Artillery (approx. half a mile away); Soldiers and Sailors of the Confederacy (approx. half a mile away); Longstreet Attacks (approx. half a mile away); Second U.S. Cavalry (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.