Centreville in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
location is the Flagler and
Forsyth Family Cemetery, 1866.
Located 80 ft. to the north is
a Civil War Fortification, 1861-
1862. This was a part of a large
military complex that extended
from Centreville to Manassas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 38° 50.712′ N, 77° 27.127′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Battery Ridge Lane, on the right when traveling east. This marker is located in the Sully Station II subdivision. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Centreville VA 20120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Second Battle of Manassas (approx. Ύ mile away); Campaign of Second Manassas (approx. Ύ mile away); Confederate Defenses (approx. Ύ mile away); First Battle of Manassas (approx. Ύ mile away); a different marker also named First Battle of Manassas (approx. Retreat From Manassas (approx. one mile away); Old Stone Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Centreville Methodist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
Also see . . .
1. Forsythe/Flagler Family Cemetery. (Submitted on January 3, 2009.)
2. Rebel Position at Centreville. On lower left of this image is a map of the Centreville Civil War Fortifications. The earthworks at this location are just west of Grt Rocky Run at the batteries intersected by Road. (Submitted on January 3, 2009.)
3. Centreville Virginia. Civil War era photos of Centreville and Fortifications (Submitted on January 3, 2009.)
1. Battery Ridge Earthworks
From Field Armies and Fortifications in the Civil War: The Eastern Campaigns, 1861-1864," by Earl J. Hess:
The northern line was two miles long and included thirty-one embrasured gun positions. Today most of this line is gone, but a well-preserved section crosses Stone Road. It has two artillery emplacements, one with four and the other with five embrasures. There is a ditch in front of the artillery emplacements
— Submitted January 3, 2009.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,855 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 3, 2009. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.