Near Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cool Spring Presbyterian Church
Named for the river branch which runs along its northwest edge, Cool Spring Presbyterian Church was established circa 1726. Many of its members were Ulster Scots who had come to America from Ireland seeking religious freedom and economic opportunity. In 1728 an Anglican missionary reported that the Presbyterians "have a minister here of the same nation (Irish) and have two Meeting houses in this County, one at Cool Spring, 8 (eight) miles distant from Lewes..." The attraction of available land, the tolerance of the Penn proprietary government, and the encouragement of settlement near the disputed Maryland border resulted in the continued growth and prosperity of the congregation. In 1734, Reverend James Martin was sent here by the Templepatrick Presbytery of County Antrim, Ireland to serve the needs of this growing community. A warrant was issued by Governor THomas Penn on August 22, 1737 for a tract of land where a Meeting House and burial ground had been established. The house of worship is described as having a red exterior with two front doors and a gallery, while the adjoining cemetery features the graves of many prominent citizens
Cool Spring Presbyterian Church was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-240.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
Location. 38° 44.218′ N, 75° 14.337′ W. Marker is near Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Log Cabin Hill Road (Local Road 247) just west of Local Road 281, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18331 Log Cabin Hill Road, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured Broadkiln Hundred (approx. 2˝ miles away); White's Chapel United Methodist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rabbit's Ferry School 201-C (approx. 3 miles away); Israel United Methodist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); St. Georges Chapel (approx. 3.8 miles away); Saint George's Chapel (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cedar Creek Hundred (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 17, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.