Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upland in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

San Antonio Hospital History

 
 
San Antonio Hospital History Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Levi Gonzalez, May 13, 2020
1. San Antonio Hospital History Marker
Inscription.  Dr. William H. Craig played a leading role in the founding of the original San Antonio Hospital, which opened May 7, 1907 at 792 W. Arrow Highway. This historic two-story building had 18 beds and a staff of 5 physicians. Dr. Craig was a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, Maryland in 1886. This college would later be known as Johns Hopkins University. br>
In 1924 a new building to be named San Antonio Community Hospital was constructed at 999 E. San Bernardino Road. It was designed and built by Myron Hunt, top architect of the day, and boasted 35 beds. Frances Mary Paul was intstrumental in both the fundraising for this new hospital and adding "Community" to its name. It was here that Dr. A.A Aita, hospital administrator and bacteriologist, personally manufactured penicillin, making the drug available to the public before it could be released by the government.

Through the 1960s and 1970s more growth and expansion took place. The most recent addition and renovation in 2015 added more beds and rooms and is now known as San Antonio Regional Hospital. It is a leading medical center with 271 beds and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a staff of over 500 physicians, offering advanced patient care throughout the Inland Empire. The hospital has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1907.

The Upland Veterans' Monument project would not have been possible without the generous support of the San Antonio Regional Hospital.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
 
Location. 34° 5.94′ N, 117° 39.021′ W. Marker is in Upland, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker can be reached from Euclid Avenue (Road 83) 0.1 miles south of East Arrow Highway, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in Upland Veterans' Plaza, between the public library and City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 460 North Euclid Avenue, Upland CA 91786, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans' Monument Project (here, next to this marker); Upland Public Library (here, next to this marker); City of Upland History (a few steps from this marker); George Chaffey, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Armsley Square Historic District (approx. one mile away); College Park Historic District
San Antonio Hospital History Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Baker, June 12, 2020
2. San Antonio Hospital History Marker
(approx. 1.4 miles away); Olive Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upland.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2020, by Levi Gonzalez of Rancho Cucamonga, California. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 18, 2020, by Levi Gonzalez of Rancho Cucamonga, California.   2. submitted on June 12, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150192

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024