Ingleside in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Lost Villages Historical Society
— Farran's Point Canal and Pavilion —
To the south west, at approximately 1.2 kilometres, lies Farran’s Point, a village of 300 residents. The village developed on the Crown Land Grant to Jacob Farran, a Lieutenant in the King’s Royal Regiment of New York. The river’s rapids were overcome by a 1.6 kilometre canal with twin locks. A pavilion on the canal bank was a favourite spot for summer entertainment.
Au sud-ouest, à environ 1,2 kilomètre, existait Farran’s Point, village de 300 personnes. Cet endroit fut exploité, grâce á un don de la Couronne à Jacob Farran, lieutenant dans le Régiment King’s Royal de New York. Un canal à deux écluses permettait d’éviter les rapides du fleuve. Un pavillon sur le bord du canal était un endroit d’été populaire.
Erected by Friends of Farran's Point.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 59.483′ N, 74° 59.956′ W. Marker is in Ingleside, Ontario, in Stormont, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14704 Stormont Dundas and Glengarry County Road 2, Ingleside, Ontario K0C 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holstein Friesian Cattle in Ontario (approx. 4 kilometers away); Loyalist American Regiments / Loyalists of the Indian Nations / Sir John Johnson (approx. 7.6 kilometers away); George H. Challies (approx. 7.7 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm 1813 (approx. 7.8 kilometers away); Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area (approx. 7.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); Battlefield of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 7.8 kilometers away); Battle of Crysler’s Farm (approx. 7.8 kilometers away); St. Lawrence River and Massena (approx. 8.4 kilometers away in the U.S.).
Also see . . .
1. Farran's Point & Rapide Plat Canals. Five miles up stream from the point where the Cornwall Canal joined the St. Lawrence River there was another small rapid at Farran’s Point. The construction of the Farran’s Point canal began in 1844 and was opened in June of 1847. Down bound ships always sailed down through the rapid very close to the canal bank. (Submitted on May 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Farran's Point. The early beginnings of Farran’s Point were typical of the many small loyalist villages along the St. Lawrence River. The area was first settled when Jacob Farran, an officer in the King’s Royal Regiment of New York, received a large land grant as payment for loyal service to the British crown. Sometime in the early nineteenth century, before 1811, he arrived and took possession of his land. (Submitted on May 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Farran's Point. The most popular place in town was the open-air pavilion, located in Farran's Park. The pavilion offered a dance floor with live entertainment as well as a nickelodeon. Today the remains of Farran's Point lie beneath shallow waters and portions of the old sidewalks can still be followed during the fall and winter when water levels are low. The dance pavilion was saved and can now be found at the Stormont Agricultural Society's fairground in nearby Newington. The community's name has survived in Farran Park, a locally operated campground. (Submitted on May 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.