Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tangier in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
 

Prince Alfred Arch / L'Arche Prince Alfred

 
 
Prince Alfred Arch /<br>L'Arche Prince Alfred Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 23, 2019
1. Prince Alfred Arch /
L'Arche Prince Alfred Marker
Inscription.  
English:
Prince Alfred (1844-1900), second son of Queen Victoria, visited Tangier on October 19, 1861, arriving by boat, here in Mason's Cove. The prince and his party of dignitaries were welcomed by the Government Superintendent, William Anderson, and a crowd of 500 people. Following an address of welcome, Prince Alfred visited several local mines and accepted a nugget of gold from the miners.

In 2001, a granite arch was dedicated by the Tangier Gold Mine Historical Society on the site of Prince Alfred's arrival, commemorating the original arch of spruce branches and flowers which was erected to welcome the Prince.

Portrait of Captain Peter Mason
In 1860, as Captain Peter Mason was watering his ox in a brook in Tangier, he saw gold sparkling in the water. He took his discovery and rode horseback to Halifax, but the people in the Legislature refused to accept his find. He made a second trip by vessel and, this time, Joseph Howe and associates acknowledged the find.

The gold rush was on!

The View Down Gold Street
One day, Peter Mason counted nine vessels loaded with supplies
Marker detail: Prince Alfred image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Prince Alfred
and 1,000 people in the vicinity of Gold Street in Tangier. It was reported in 1861 that "geese swarmed, pigs abounded, children played, and anything might be bought from a crinoline to a bottle of Bass's Pale Ale."

The Mi'kmaq name for this area was Wospegeak, "the place of shining waters." They knew of the gold and were instrumental in helping the prospectors find it.

Europeans settled on the islands in the late eighteenth century, particularly Tangier Island and Baltee Island. It is said that Tangier got its name from a ship that was wrecked in the area.

Photo of Government Wharf & Steamer
Long after the Great Road reached Tangier in the 1860s, steamers continued to bring supplies to the village and provide transportation along the coast.

Along Tangier Harbour were many small wharves, used by local fishers to land cod, haddock, mackerel, herring, pollock and lobster. Salmon was fished in the Tangier River.

Most of the wharves disappeared with the collapse of the fishery in the 1980s. The government wharf, where the steamers landed, was demolished in the 1990s.

Français:
Le Prince Alfred (1844-1900), second fils de la Reine Victoria, a visité Tangier le 19 octobre 1861. Il est arrivé par bateau à l'anse Mason. Le Prince et sa suite ont été accueillis par William Anderson, le régisseur du gouvernement et une
Marker detail: Captain Peter Mason image. Click for full size.
3. Marker detail: Captain Peter Mason
foule d'environ 500 personnes. Après le discours d'accueil, le Prince Alfred a visité plusieurs mines de la région et les mineurs lui ont donné une pépite d'or.

En 2001, une arche de granite a été dédiée au Prince Alfred par la société Tangier Gold Mine Historical pour commémorer l'arche de branches d'épinette et de fleurs érigée lors de la venue du Prince Alfred.

Portrait du capitaine Peter Mason
En 1860, capitaine Mason donnait à boire à son bœuf dans un ruisseau de Tangier. Il aperçut de l'or scintillé au fond de l'eau. Muni de sa découverte, il se rendit à Halifax à dos de cheval. Les gens qui siégeaient au Parlement refusèrent de reconnaître sa trouvaille. Peu après, il retourna à Halifax par bateau et durant cette occasion, il rencontra Joseph Howe et ces associés qui ont reconnu sa découverte.

La ruée vers l'or a pris naissance!

Portrait de la rue Gold, Tangier
Un jour, Peter Mason a compté neuf navires chargés de marchandises ainsi qu'un millier de personnes dans le voisinage de la rue Gold. On a rapporté qu'en 1861, la rue fourmillait d'enfants, d'oies et de cochons. On pouvait acheter presque tout, d'une crinoline à une bouteille de "Bass's Pale Ale".

Le nom Mi'kmaq pour cette région était Wospegeak qui voulait dire "le lieu des eaux étincellantes". La présence de l'or était déjà connue des Mi'kmaq, ils ont aidé
Marker detail: The View Down Gold Street image. Click for full size.
4. Marker detail: The View Down Gold Street
les prospecteurs à le trouver.

Les Européens se sont installée dans les îles à la fin du 18e siècle notamment dans les îles Tangier et Baltee. On croit que Tangier est associé au nom d'un navire qui a échoué dans cette région.

Portrait du quai et du bateau à vapeur de l'État
Dans les années 1860, longtemps après que le Great Road soit parvenu jusqu'à Tangier, les bateaux à vapeur ont continué à pourvoir le village en marchandises. Ils ont aussi continué d'assurer le transport le long de la côte.

Le long du port de Tangier, il y avait plusieurs petits quais qui étaient utilisés par les pêcheurs locaux pour le commerce de la morue, de l'aiglefin, du maquereau, du hareng, du merlan et du homard. Le saumon était pêché dans la rivière Tangier.

L'effondrement de la pêche en 1980, a vu la majorité des petits quais disparaître. Dans les années 1990, le quai provincial où accostaient les bateaux à vapeur a été démoli.
 
Erected by Nova Scotia Tourism and Culture.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 44° 48.062′ N, 62° 41.545′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker
Marker detail: Government Wharf & Steamer image. Click for full size.
5. Marker detail: Government Wharf & Steamer
is at the intersection of Jennings Settlement Road and James Mason Lane, on the left when traveling west on Jennings Settlement Road. Marker and subject arch are located in Graeme Ferguson Memorial Park, overlooking Mason Cove. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Jennings Settlement Road, Tangier, Nova Scotia B0J 3H0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 19 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shipbuilding & Shipping (approx. 18.2 kilometers away); Hydroelectric Power (approx. 18.2 kilometers away); Early Settlement (approx. 18.2 kilometers away); Sheet Harbour (approx. 18.3 kilometers away); The Pulp & Paper Industry (approx. 18.3 kilometers away); Salmon (approx. 18.3 kilometers away); Lumbering & Sawmills (approx. 18.3 kilometers away); The Community (approx. 18.3 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Wikipedia). Alfred reigned as Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha from 1893 to 1900. He was the second son and fourth child of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. He was known as the Duke of Edinburgh from 1866 until he succeeded his paternal uncle Ernest II as the reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in the German Empire. (Submitted on May 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. The History of Gold Mining in Nova Scotia. As Provincial Secretary from 1860 to
Prince Alfred Arch & Marker / L'Arche Prince Alfred Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 23, 2019
6. Prince Alfred Arch & Marker / L'Arche Prince Alfred Marker
1863, Joseph Howe was in charge of Nova Scotia’s mineral development. Sent by Lieutenant-Governor, George Phipps, in July of 1860 to report on the frenzied activity at the Tangier field, Howe famously concluded that the Tangier diggings “are utterly valueless.” In Howe’s opinion, “the richest specimen …would scarcely fill a lady’s thimble.” But all through 1860 and into 1861, the gold hysteria continued. In April 1861, the government intervened and declared Mooseland and nearby Tangier gold districts. By 1960, the combined Tangier-Mooseland Districts had produced 29,887.633 ounces, and turned out to be one of Nova Scotia’s biggest producers of pure gold—proving the Honourable Joseph Howe quite wrong! (Submitted on May 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 102 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2021