Near Iraan in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Giddings' Pecos Station
In 1854, George H. Giddings took over the San Antonio to El Paso line and created a series of stage stations in the area. In 1858, he established one near the "S" crossing of the Pecos River. It had two structures built of adobe, limestone and wood. Teamsters used the larger building as a kitchen and dining room and the smaller structure as sleeping quarters. An adobe or high pole corral with a wide gate stood behind the buildings, housing dozens of horses and mules. Water came from a nearby hand-dug well, formerly an existing spring.
In early 1862, a driver of the stage to Fort Lancaster reported Indians had destroyed Pecos Station, and the site
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14031.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 30° 55.348′ N, 101° 58.891′ W. Marker is near Iraan, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is on U.S. 190, 1.4 miles west of Texas Highway 349, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in a roadside picnic area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Iraan TX 79744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marathon Oil Company Discovery Well (approx. 4.2 miles away); Iraan (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 4.9 miles away); O. W. Parker Ranch Headquarters (approx. 6.3 miles away); Camp Melvin and the Pontoon Crossing of the Pecos River (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.