Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Duxbury in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Beginning of the Bradford House

 
 
The Beginning of the Bradford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Connors, May 20, 2020
1. The Beginning of the Bradford House Marker
Inscription.  

The Beginning of the Bradford House

“How comes the house, not quite finished yet I suppose…”
Gershom Bradford aboard the brig Mercury, to his wife Sally, December 31, 1807.

Sarah (Sally) Hickling Bradford supervised the initial construction stages of this house while her husband, Capt. Gershom Bradford, was held captive by the French. As a ship's captain, Gershom's absences frequently left Sally alone to care for their young family, and in 1808, she oversaw the financing and clearing of land for this house.

The Bradfords chose a friend, Benjamin Bird of Dorchester, Massachusetts to construct their new home on ten acres of what had been part of a larger ninety acre farm owned by Gershom's parents. The Bradford family, descendants of the Pilgrims Governor William Bradford and John Alden, had been in the Duxbury area since 1627. The contract with Bird does not give many specifics but it was probably understood that the house would be built in the latest style, today called "Federal." The house was completed by the spring of 1809 at a cost of $2,200. Although it is not grand in size, it
Additional markers on the Bradford House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Connors, May 20, 2020
2. Additional markers on the Bradford House
The house also includes a marker from the National Register of Historic Places and a local Duxbury name and date marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
does feature elaborate trim work and interior decor and at its construction, the house even sported exterior brick ends.

The house also accommodated a growing family that ultimately included four daughters, two foster sons, Sally's mother, and a continuous stream of visitors. The daughters, Maria, Elizabeth, Lucia and Charlotte, took ownership of the house after their parents' passing and continued the same legacy until their deaths in the 1890s.

The Bradford House, along with its original 10 acre plot, was donated by the family to the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society in 1968. Today, the house's exhibitions are interpreted to tell the story of the Bradford daughters and their immense accomplishments during the 19th century. The Bradford House has always been a place where both people and ideas are welcome.

Captions:
Four generations of the Bradford family, ca. 1884.

Original drawing for construction of house, ca. 1807.

Bradford House
www.duxburyhistory.org
The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
 
Erected by The Duxbury Rural & Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceWomen. A significant historical date for this entry is December 31, 1807.
 
Location. 42° 2.273′ N, 70° 
The Beginning of the Bradford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Connors, May 20, 2020
3. The Beginning of the Bradford House Marker
Note the marker at the right corner of the house.
41.335′ W. Marker is in Duxbury, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is on Tremont Street north of Depot Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Duxbury MA 02332, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First School House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to the Old Burying Ground, c. 1632-1787 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Second Meeting House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Captain Myles Standish (approx. 0.9 miles away); Memorial Stones of John and Priscilla Alden (approx. 0.9 miles away); America's Oldest Maintained Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of First Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duxbury.
 
The Bradford House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Connors, May 20, 2020
4. The Bradford House
A view of the rear of the Bradford House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Connors, May 20, 2020
5. A view of the rear of the Bradford House
A view from the street of the Bradford House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Connors, May 20, 2020
6. A view from the street of the Bradford House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 22, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150330

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2021