Near Bardane in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Valley View / Tackley Farm
West Virginia 9
— Charles Town to Martinsburg —
Tackley Farm, originally known as Valley View, was established in 1777 when Michael Blue leased a portion of the property from original grantee, Colonel Richard Blackburn, who migrated from England and acquired over 2,000 acres in 1754. Both Michael Blue and his brother Uriah had served with Richard Blackburn as foot soldiers in Delaware in 1757 and through him learned of the farming opportunities in Jefferson (then Berkeley) County. So successful were the brothers that Michael Blue purchased the 150 acres of Tackley Farm in 1795. The farm later changed ownership in 1849 when the Blue family sold the property to Bayliss Trussell or Michael Blue's son, Joel, built the present Greek Revival/Italianate-style farm house in the 1840s.
During the 1920s, the property was owned by agriculturalist J. William Blackford, who also operated a threshing business. During harvest season, Blackford hauled his threshing machine, hay baler, and seed huller on his steam traction engine from farm to farm, assisting local farmers with their reaping and processing of wheat, hay, and clover. An early 20th-century photo shows J. William Blackford (in
In 1935, O.M. Merchant purchased the property and converted the farm for dairy use, helping to establish the still important milking industry in the country. Merchant equipped his barn with stanchions and concrete troughs and added a cooling house to meet the milk inspectors' requirements for producing Grade A milk.
The farm is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its reflection of the agricultural development and settlement of Jefferson County. Also, the farmhouse is significant for its mid-19th-century blend of Greek Revival and Italianate architecture.
Erected by West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia 9 🛣️ series list.
Location. 39° 21.961′ N, 77° 52.272′ W. Marker is near Bardane, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Route 9 Bike Path and Charles Town Road (West Virginia Route 115), on the left when traveling north on Route 9 Bike Path. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7559 Charles Town Rd, Kearneysville WV 25430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Greenback Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hockensmith Apple Storage Building (approx. half a mile away); Peter Burr / William Burr Houses (approx. ¾ mile away); Peter Burr House (approx. 0.9 miles away); John C. Heinz House (approx. 1.1 miles away); York Hill (approx. 1½ miles away); "Travelers' Rest" (approx. 1.7 miles away); Kearneysville Area Historic Properties (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bardane.
More about this marker.
1. 1997 photograph by Michael Baker Jr. Inc., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2. Early 20th-century photograph courtesy of the Robert P. Blackford Family, Bardane, West Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.