Rexton in Kent County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
Dr. William Francis Kenney and Dr. Francis William Kenney
Dr. William Francis Kenney and his son, Dr. Francis William Kenney
Physician and Surgeon
January 11, 1888 Lockeport, Nova Scotia
January 30, 1953 Rexton, New Brunswick
Dr. William Francis Kenney was a Captain in the Canadian Medical Corps during the First World War. He served in the Battles of Wytschaete, Neuve Eglise and the Battle of Kemmel Hill, where, through heavy exposure to mustard gas, he nearly lost his life. In 1925, Dr. Kenney and his family settled in Rexton where he began his medical and surgical practice and established a small hospital on the southeast corner of Main Street and Water Street. Regarded as one of the most eminent diagnosticians in New Brunswick, Dr. Kenney performed surgical and medical procedures both in the hospital and in rural homes throughout Kent County. Dr. William Francis Kenney devoted his life to attending the sick until
Physician and Surgeon
June 23, 1917 Broadstairs, England
May 4, 1999 Rexton, New Brunswick
Dr. Francis William Kenney joined his father in 1941 in the practice of medicine and surgery in their newly built office the Kenney Clinic. Dr. Frank, like his father, was also known as an outstanding diagnostician and surgeon. In 1947, the Kingston Hall Community Hospital was established. This 20 bed fully operational hospital, equipped for emergencies, obstetrics and surgical procedures, served the residents of Kent County. Here, with other doctors and nursing staff, both father and son played a pivotal role caring for the sick and the recovering. Dr. Francis William Kenney continued practicing in Rexton in the same office that he opened with his father on Kenney Lane, devoting his life to his patients until his sudden death on May 4, 1999.
Erected by Village of Rexton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • War, World I.
Location. 46° 38.565′ N, 64° 52.218′ W. Marker is in Rexton, New Brunswick, in Kent County. Marker is on Rue Main (New Brunswick Route 134Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexton NB E4W 2A6, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Honourable Shawn Michael Graham (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's the Evangelist Anglican Church (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Bridges / Les Ponts (about 180 meters away); The Masts / Les Mâts (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Wooden Ships and Iron Men / Navires en Bois et Hommes de Fer (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Historic Village of Rexton (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Le Village Historique de Rexton (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Hannay's Limited (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rexton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Village of Rexton, New Brunswick
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.