Vernon in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mission Church of Oneida Indians, built 1818 at Oneida Castle by Rev. Eleazar Williams. Moved here in 1842 by Unitarians. Became Vernon Town Hall 1892.
Erected 1949 by State Education Department.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 43° 4.75′ N, 75° 32.463′ W. Marker is in Vernon, New York, in Oneida County. Marker is at the intersection of West Seneca Street (New York State Route 5) and North Sconondoa Street, on the right when traveling west on West Seneca Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vernon NY 13476, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vernon Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oneida Country (approx. 3˝ miles away); Site of the Battle of Oriskany (approx. 3˝ miles away); James Dean Home (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lest We Forget Lock Company (approx. 6˝ miles away); Town of Stockbridge World War Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); Kirkland College (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vernon.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.