University of Maryland in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Davidge Hall, constructed in 1812, is named for the first dean of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. John B. Davidge. Noted for its unique classical appearance, it is the oldest building in the country used continuously for medical education. The Medical School, established in 1807 by the Maryland General Assembly was the fifth to be founded in the United States. Following mergers with Baltimore Medical College, 1913, and College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1915, the school became part of the State University System in 1920.
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 39° 17.26′ N, 76° 37.379′ W. Marker is in University of Maryland in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Lombard Street and Greene Street, on the right when traveling west on Lombard StreetTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inner Harbor Lofts (within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Infirmary (within shouting distance of this marker); The Classic Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore Arts Tower (about 600 feet away); James McHenry, M.D. (about 700 feet away); A Beloved General (about 700 feet away); Bernard von Kapff (about 700 feet away); Local Hero, National Leader (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in University of Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,545 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on January 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on May 13, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 5. submitted on January 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.