Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Romney in Hampshire County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Taggart-Hall House

 
 
Taggart-Hall House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, May 28, 2020
1. Taggart-Hall House Marker
Inscription.  Francis Taggart (also spelled Tygart) A Quaker, was responsible for the construction of this Clapboard "Half" House on one of the one hundred lots which Lord Fairfax had surveyed to encourage settlement of the western countries. According to his deed from the trustees of the town of Romney recorded in deedbook #10, Page 201, 9-1 -1795, Taggart was to build or have built a dwelling within 3 years on lot # 58 or it would revert back to trustees of said town. Records show that the property remained in the Taggart family until 1811 when it was conveyed to Christopher Heiskell This deed showed that a dwelling had been built by Taggart. Other early families to own and occupy the dwelling according to succession of deed were: Gibson, Armstrong Head, Sheetz, Corbett, and Hill.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
 
Location. 39° 20.467′ N, 78° 45.422′ W. Marker is in Romney, West Virginia, in Hampshire County. Marker is on South High
Taggart-Hall House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, May 28, 2020
2. Taggart-Hall House
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street just north of East Gravel Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 91 S High St, Romney WV 26757, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Romney in Union Hands (a few steps from this marker); Romney's Oldest House (within shouting distance of this marker); W.VA.'s Oldest Public Office Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Literary Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Romney in 1861–1865 / “Stonewall” Jackson (about 400 feet away); Hampshire County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Romney / Early Memorial (about 400 feet away); Hampshire County World War I Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Romney.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150639

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 4, 2022