Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dubuque in Dubuque County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Site of Tim Fanning's Log Tavern

 
 
Site of Tim Fanning's Log Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2013
1. Site of Tim Fanning's Log Tavern Marker
Inscription.  
Terminus of the
Old Military Road
from
Dubuque to the Northern
boundary of Missouri
Authorized by Congress 1839

Marked by
Iowa Daughters of the
American Revolution
1937

 
Erected 1937 by Iowa Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 42° 29.71′ N, 90° 39.837′ W. Marker is in Dubuque, Iowa, in Dubuque County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and West 1st Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the southwest corner of the building at this address, facing Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Main Street, Dubuque IA 52001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Five Flags Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dubuque Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); "Fourth Street Elevator"
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Methodist Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Dubuque County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Francis Rague (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dubuque Shot Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dubuque.
 
Regarding Site of Tim Fanning's Log Tavern. This building at 100 Main Street is a contributing property of the Old Main Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #83000356.
 
Also see . . .  Timothy Fanning. In December, 1838, an act of the Iowa territorial legislature authorized Timothy Fanning to operate a horse ferry at Dubuque for twenty years. He was required to land at any required part of the river front of the town; to keep ample boats and facilities, and two years later was to put on a steam ferryboat and a sufficient number of flatboats. The same year, he purchased land and started a tavern called Tim Fanning’s Log Tavern. The hotel portion on Lot No. 1 was known as the Jefferson House; however, most people simply referred to the location as “Tim
Site of Tim Fanning's Log Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2013
2. Site of Tim Fanning's Log Tavern Marker
(marker visible at right edge of building)
Fanning’s Log Tavern.” (Submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150707

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024