White Deer in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
White Deer Cemetery
In 1916, Mrs. Beulah V. Tillman, a “femme sole,” purchased 155 of the 160 acres that made up Block 7 of Survey 26 of the International and Great Northern Railroad Company. Because the remaining five acres were omitted from the purchase, the site may have already been established as an informal burial ground. It is believed that an employee of the railroad died in an accident ca. 1905 and had been buried at the site, although no records of the burial survive.
The White Deer Cemetery Association was formed in March 1923, and the first directors of the association were John Gores, J.C. Jackson, C.E. Evans, G.B. Moss, and W.H. Brady. At that time, Frederic de P. Foster, acting as a representative of the White Deer Land Company, sold the five acre cemetery to the association trustees for the sum of one dollar. A second charter was filed for the cemetery association in 1953, but the association eventually became inactive. In 1991, a group of interested citizens met to reestablish the association, which continues to oversee the site.
The oldest marked interment in White Deer Cemetery is the 1915 grave of Howard Milhoan.
Historic Texas Cemetery – 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16365.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1923.
Location. 35° 24.921′ N, 101° 11.085′ W. Marker is in White Deer, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of County Road Y and County Road 16, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: County Road Y, White Deer TX 79097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); White Deer United Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of White Deer (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hotel at White Deer (approx. 1.4 White Deer (approx. 1˝ miles away); Jackson General Store (approx. 1˝ miles away); White Deer Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Polish Settlers (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Deer.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.