Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Richmond Nat’l Battlefield Pk – 1862/64 —
The Battles of Drewry’s Bluff
Two Union expeditions tested the Drewry’s Bluff defenses. A five-ship flotilla came up the river on May 15, 1862, but stiff resistance from the fort here blocked that effort. Two years later, the Union Army of the James under General Benjamin F. Butler landed south of here at Bermuda Hundred and threatened Richmond by land. Severe infantry battles all through May 1864 proved the worth of the fortifications. Union infantry penetrated to within sight of Fort Drewry, but failed to reach the riverside redoubt. Drewry’s Bluff remained in Confederate hands until the end of the war, having stood as a dependable link in the extended chain of Richmond’s defenses.
“Nothing could have been more beautiful than the neatness and precision of the movement with which Rodgers placed the Galena, as if at target-practice, directly under the enemy’s fire. In the words of [one] officer …. ‘It was one of the most masterly pieces of seamanship of the whole war.’”
- Prof. James Russell Soley, U.S.N.
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park - National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 37° 25.273′ N, 77° 25.471′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker can be reached from Fort Darling Road, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in the Drewry’s Bluff/Fort Darling unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23237, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Drewry’s Bluff Trail (here, next to this marker); Covered Way (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Permanent Post (about 600 feet away); Fort Darling (about 600 feet away); Camp Beall (about 600 feet away); Bombproof and Well "A Very Neat Chapel" (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Drewry's Bluff (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. The left side of the marker features a map of Richmond National Battlefield Park, with the location of Drewry’s Bluff indicated. The bottom right of the marker contains a battle map of the fighting at Drewry’s Bluff. The right marker features a picture of a cannon at Drewry’s Bluff overlooking the James River.
Regarding Drewry’s Bluff. This marker was replaced by a new one named Drewry's Bluff (see nearby markers).
Also see . . .
1. Drewry’s Bluff. Richmond National Battlefield website. (Submitted on January 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Drewry’s Bluff. CWSAC Battle Summaries. (Submitted on January 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Battle of Drewry’s Bluff, 15 May 1862. American Civil War website. (Submitted on January 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,247 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.