Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coppell in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park

 
 
Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, June 7, 2020
1. Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park Marker
Inscription.  

Grapevine Springs was a popular camping ground for Native Americans even before Sam Houston camped there in 1843. It was a community gathering spot after settlement began in the 1860s. In 1937, the WPA constructed walking trails, picnic areas, and bridges in the park and marked its two entrances with stone columns, one set at the north entrance at the end of Park Road and one set at the west entrance along this street, S. Coppell Road, approximately 620 feet south of this marker.

The west entrance was closed during World War II, and the columns were eventually removed to make way for development. In 2014, the City of Coppell built these replicas using some of the original stones.
 
Erected 2015 by City of Coppell/Coppell Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureParks & Recreational Areas.
 
Location. 32° 57.206′ N, 97° 0.307′ W. Marker is in Coppell, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Coppell Road and Houston
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street, on the right when traveling north on South Coppell Road. There are two stone columns, one on each side of Houston Street. The marker is mounted to the southern column. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 720 S Coppell Road, Coppell TX 75019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Minyard Store (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Coppell Heritage Park (about 400 feet away); The Kirkland House (about 400 feet away); Early Coppell Business District (about 500 feet away); Early Coppell School Foundation (about 600 feet away); Coppell's First Water Supply (about 600 feet away); Harwell House and Barbershop (about 700 feet away); Coppell's First Government Buildings (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coppell.
 
Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, June 7, 2020
2. Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park and Marker
Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kayla Harper, June 7, 2020
3. Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151063

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024