Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Elfrida in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Camp Rucker Bakery and Commissary

 
 
Camp Rucker Bakery and Commissary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 4, 2020
1. Camp Rucker Bakery and Commissary Marker
Inscription.  The Bakery was first described in Camp records in May, 1879. It was a log building with an earth roof and an adjacent guardhouse. The nearby storehouse (commissary) was a stockaded tent structure with vertical log walls and a canvas tent roof. In May, 1880, a permanent building program was begun to replace the existing tent and log structures. By July the Commissary, or storehouse, was completed. It had adobe walls, a stone-walled cellar and a shingled roof.

Camp Commander Captain MacGowan reported in October 1880:
“The Storehouse and Cellar is excellent, but the doors and windows have not been put in for want of window sashes – bolts – hinges and locks – all of which have been required for from the Q.M. Dept. but though months have expired, they have not yet been received. These articles are absolutely required, to preserve the Stores from damage on account of weather, and to secure them from theft.”

An adobe bake house with no windows was completed in the fall. The bread was described as being “good” or “very good”.

Records indicate that Camp Rucker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was either undersupplied or oversupplied with provisions. Captain Madder, reported in September, 1878:
“There is no flour, beans, or sugar at this camp for issue, The wearabouts 'of pack train' with supplies for here are not known. What is to be done?”

The shortage was evidently taken care of, because in the winter of 1879, the Post Commander wrote Department Headquarters:
“I have over 18,000 rations of bacon and pork on hand, and nearly 7,000 rations in route, which were not required.”

The situation changed again as Captain MacGowan wrote in July, 1880:
“I have the honor to request that the ration of bread at this post be increased to twenty-two ounces – as there are no vegetables at the post.”

The Commissary continued in use after abandonment of Camp Rucker when it was converted to a home for the ranch owners. Unfortunately, it burned in 1921. The owners, Charles and Mary Rak, moved most of the remaining adobe walls to a nearby frame house for additional protection from the winter cold. Today, only a wall corner and the foundation remain.

The Bakehouse was eventually used for other purposes. Windows were added, and the oven was removed. The outline of the oven is still evident today. The walls of the Bakery are original, however, the roof has been replaced to help preserve
Camp Rucker Bakery and Commissary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 4, 2020
2. Camp Rucker Bakery and Commissary Marker
the structure.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1879.
 
Location. 31° 45.274′ N, 109° 21.522′ W. Marker is near Elfrida, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker can be reached from North Tex Canyon Road, 0.8 miles east of East Rucker Canyon Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elfrida AZ 85610, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Rucker and the Indian Scouts (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp John A. Rucker A Military Outpost (within shouting distance of this marker); How Camp Rucker received its Name (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Camp Rucker Ranch (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Rucker Timeline (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Ringo (approx. 8˝ miles away).
 
Camp Rucker Bakery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 4, 2020
3. Camp Rucker Bakery
Camp Rucker Bakery oven image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 4, 2020
4. Camp Rucker Bakery oven
The outline of the oven is still evident today.
Camp Commissary wall and Bakery are in the background. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 4, 2020
5. Camp Commissary wall and Bakery are in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151079

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024