Coppell in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Coppell Heritage Park
This Park commemorates the rich history of the town of Coppell, which began here in the late 1870s along present Bethel and Coppell Roads. This was downtown Coppell, the location of general stores, a post office, a bank, a drug store, blacksmiths, schools, churches, and homes. Today if is a part of the city’s revitalization plan of Old Coppell.
This corner, at various times in history, as the site of several houses, a service station, and a temporary movie theater. Its status as a historical park began in 2003 when an antique windmill as donated by the Thweatt family and preserved here. Later, the historic 1904 Kirkland House was moved to this site and the Minyard Store as added. The designation of this land as a historical park was made possible by the Wheelice Wilson family, which lived here starting in 1947.
Coppell Heritage Park is dedicated to the memory of pioneers who made Coppell their home.
Erected 2013 by City of Coppell/Coppell Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 32° 57.275′ N, 97° 0.305′ W. Marker is in Coppell, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Coppell Road and West Bethel Road, on the right when traveling north on South Coppell Road. The marker is at the base of the old windmill and water tower. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 708 S Coppell Road, Coppell TX 75019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Kirkland House (a few steps from this marker); The Minyard Store (a few steps from this marker); Early Coppell Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); Coppell's First Water Supply (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park (about 400 feet away); Harwell House and Barbershop (about 400 feet away); Coppell's First Government Buildings (about 500 feet away); Coppell's First School Buildings (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coppell.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.