Coppell in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic Bullock Cemetery
Kentucky native Washington Curtis Bullock (1821-1889) married Caroline Hunsaker in 1844. The Bullocks lived in Missouri and in 1855 they came to Texas with their four children. In 1866 the Bullocks purchased 280 acres here from former Peters Colonist Seborn J. Baggett. The last of the Bullock’s nine children, Julia Caroline, died at the age of three. This cemetery began with her burial at this site in 1869.
The Bullock family built a two-story brick home and operated a farm. W.C. Bullock established a rural school for his children and those of his neighbors and also served as Justice of the Peace. He died in 1889 and was buried here. Caroline Bullock was buried here in 1899. The Bullocks’ heirs sold the reminder of the original acreage to J.R. Powers in 1902 and set aside the cemetery in the transaction.
The cemetery contains the burials of about 40 members of the Bullocks’ extended family and their descendants. Among those buried here are Confederate Civil War Veteran Burnell B. Howell and World War II Veterans William T. Cozby, first mayor of Coppell, and William H. Kirkland. Members of the Bullock family formally
Erected 1996 by City of Coppell/Coppell Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 57.751′ N, 96° 59.74′ W. Marker is in Coppell, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Washington Court, on the left when traveling south. The marker and cemetery are at the end of a deadend residential road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coppell TX 75019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grapevine Springs Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Kirkland House (approx. ¾ mile away); Coppell Heritage Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Houston Campsite Oak (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Minyard Store (approx. 0.8 miles away); Early Coppell Business District (approx. 0.8 miles away); Coppell's First Government Buildings (approx. 0.8 miles away); Coppell's First Water Supply (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coppell.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.