Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Manchester in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Manchester

 
 
Manchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
1. Manchester Marker
Inscription.  
Originally the Five Miles bought by Hartford from the Indians, 1682. First settlement, about 1673. Chartered by General Assembly as Orford Parish, 1772. Incorporated as town of Manchester, 1823.

An early center of small industry, its mills produced powder for the American army during the Revolution, paper on which the Connecticut Courant printed the news of the battle of Lexington, and army blankets for the War of 1812.

Later the great Cheney Mills made Manchester the silk capital of the nation. Here Christopher Spencer developed the first successful magazine repeating rifle. Here was established under town auspices the second community college in Connecticut.
(back)
The site of this marker has been a civic and religious center for two centuries. Nearby stood the remodeled dwelling which served as the first church in the Five Miles. Here the Ecclesiastical Society of Orford Parish, now the Center Congregational Church, began its first church building, 1774. To the east a Methodist Church was erected, 1822. For many years town meetings were held in these churches. The second Center Church, purchased
Manchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
2. Manchester Marker
(back)
by the town, 1879, became Manchester's first town hall. Just to the south the first Episcopal Church was built, 1846. The Center Academy, an early secondary school, stood nearby.

Erected by the Manchester Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1971

 
Erected 1971 by the Manchester Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 41° 46.533′ N, 72° 31.355′ W. Marker is in Manchester, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (U.S. 6) and Main Street (Route 83), on the left when traveling east on Center Street. Located in front of Manchester Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Center Street, Manchester CT 06040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manchester Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Manchester Spanish American War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Soldiers of Orford Parish (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Site of Oddfellows Building (about 400 feet away); Manchester Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Manchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
3. Manchester Marker
(about 400 feet away); Manchester World War II Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Manchester Veterans Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Manchester Iraq Afghanistan Veterans Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manchester.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Manchester. Town website (Submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.) 

2. Manchester, Connecticut. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.) 
 
Manchester Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
4. Manchester Town Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 387 times since then. Last updated on June 9, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 16, 2021