Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coppell in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Coppell's First Water Supply

 
 
Coppell's First Water Supply Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 5, 2020
1. Coppell's First Water Supply Marker
Inscription.  The City of Coppell constructed this water tank in the late 1960s to accommodate a rapidly expanding population. Automatic pumps supplied water to those residents who chose to pay for city water, but the controls often malfunctioned and had to be operated manually day and night until repairs could be made. The city logo was painted by the Exchange Club when Coppell was preparing to celebrate its centennial.

The original water well beneath this tank was first tapped about 1911 to supply an overhead wooden tank and a public watering trough for horses, funded by Dallas County and local residents. In the decade of the 1940s, a washeteria, located just behind this marker, allowed residents to wash clothes in wringer washing machines, and the waste water ran out into the creek behind.
 
Erected 2016 by The Coppell Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location. 32° 57.289′ N, 97° 0.372′ W. Marker is in Coppell, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on West Bethel Road west of Burnet Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coppell TX 75019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harwell House and Barbershop (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Coppell Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); Coppell's First Government Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Coppell Heritage Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Minyard Store (about 400 feet away); The Kirkland House (about 400 feet away); Coppell's First School Buildings (about 400 feet away); Stone Columns at West Entrance to Grapevine Springs Park (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coppell.
 
Coppell's First Water Supply Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 5, 2020
2. Coppell's First Water Supply Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151128

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024