Maple in Bailey County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1934, in the midst of drought and the Great Depression, landowner Maple Wilson donated four acres for a cemetery for the small community that bore his name. It was used briefly up until World War II. Today, the identities of only three burials are known: infant Jay T. Sanderson (d. 1934); James Gentry (1885-1936), struck by lightning, leaving a wife and five children; and Minnie Elizabeth Daricek (1897-1935), who died quietly while nursing her eleventh child. Reportedly, three to five infants of Mexican descent are also interred here. This burial ground is a reminder of the hard times face by Bailey County families in the 1930s.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17443.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 33° 51.248′ N, 102° 54.972′ W. Marker is in Maple, Texas, in Bailey County. Marker can be reached from CR 1316, on the right when traveling west. The marker can Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maple TX 79344, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enochs Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); Site of Virginia City (approx. 8.7 miles away); La Pista de Vida Agua (approx. 10 miles away); Buffalo Soldier Tragedy of 1877 (approx. 11.8 miles away); Morton Memorial Cemetery (approx. 11.8 miles away); Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge (approx. 12 miles away); Cochran County (approx. 12.7 miles away); Slaughter Ranch Headquarters (approx. 14 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.