Rigaud in Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Québec — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
L'Ancien Bureau de Poste
The Old Post Office
Cet immeuble abritait autrefois le 4e bureau de poste de Rigaud. Construit en 1911-1913, à l’endroit même où se trouve aujourd'hui le pont traversant la rivière Rigaud, juste à droite du monument du Sacré-Cœur, ce bâtiment mesure 45 pieds de façade par 38 pieds de profondeur. Il a été construit par l'entrepreneur Théodore Bélanger, de Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, en utilisant les plans réalisés par l'architecte Ludger Lemieux, de Montréal. Monsieur Bélanger est le même entrepreneur qui réalisera une grande partie des travaux de l’église actuelle située tout près.
La construction du bureau de poste coûta 18 600 $ et il devint le premier édifice appartenant au gouvernement fédéral à Rigaud.
Les planchers sont en ciment et en terra cota, et la structure est en acier. On se vante à l'époque d'avoir un bâtiment entièrement à l'épreuve du feu. Le premier étage servait de logement pour le gardien et le concierge des postes, et le sous-sol était destiné à un usage public. Pour donner suite aux demandes du gouvernement provincial de faire poursuivre la route provinciale directement de la rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste jusqu'à Vautre côté de la rivière, on entreprit de déménager le bâtiment là où il se trouve actuellement en utilisant la force de deux chevaux.
L’immeuble abrita le bureau de poste jusqu’à son déménagement en 1968, sur la rue Saint-Viateur, où il se trouve encore aujourd'hui.
Au moment de la photo, lors de son inauguration, l'horloge du clocher n'avait pas encore été installée.
This building once housed Rigaud's 4th post office. Built in 1911-1913, on the very spot where today is the bridge crossing the Rigaud River, just to the right of the Sacred Heart Monument, this building measures 45 feet of façade by 38 feet deep. It was built by entrepreneur Theodore Bélanger of Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, using plans made by Montreal architect Ludger Lemieux. Mr. Bélanger is the same contractor who will carry out much of the work of the current church nearby.
The post office cost $18,600 to build and became the first federally owned building in Rigaud.
The floors are made of cement and terra cota, and the structure is made of steel. At the time, we boasted that we had a fire-proof building. The first floor was used as accommodation for the postmaster and superintendent, and the basement was intended for public use. In response to the provincial government's requests to continue the provincial road directly
from St. John the Baptist Street to Vautre by the river, the building was moved to where it is now, using the force of two horses.
The building housed the post office until it moved to Saint-Viateur Street in 1968, where it still stands today.
At the time of the photo, at its inauguration, the bell tower clock had not yet been installed.
Erected by Municipalité de Rigaud and Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 45° 28.716′ N, 74° 18.151′ W. Marker is in Rigaud, Québec, in Vaudreuil-Soulanges. Marker is on Rue Saint-Pierre (Québec Route 325) south of Rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste Est (Québec Route 342), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, overlooking the northeast corner of the old Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 168 Rue Saint-Pierre, Rigaud QC J0P 1P0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 24 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Église Sainte-Madeleine-de-Rigaud (within shouting distance of this marker); Le Pont Riguad-De Cavagnal (within shouting distance of this marker); Le 125, Saint-Pierre (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Bassett Macaulay (approx. 11 kilometers away); Carillon Canal (approx. 11.4 kilometers away); The War of 1812 - 1814 (approx. 23.4 kilometers away); Coteau-du-lac (approx. 23.4 kilometers away); The Durham boat (approx. 23.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rigaud.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Le Pont Riguad-De Cavagnal
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.