Near Burton in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John's United Church of Christ Cemetery
In June 1894, a Christian congregation called Evangelical St. John’s Church of Burton organized. In October 1899, a long-felt need for a cemetery for the church was met when two acres of land, a mile east of Burton, were purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Michael Wolff for $57. The first recorded burial is of Martin Rogas (March 30, 1900). The first marked grave belongs to Hulda Arndt, buried September 12, 1899. Expecting the need for more cemetery land, the church purchased an additional 1.448 acres adjacent to the original cemetery from F. R. and Annie Maud Avis on January 25, 1976.
The cemetery has certain distinct areas worth mentioning. There is a separate children’s section which was established early on, and according to the records, some 53 children were buried there from 1899 to 1909. In the center of the cemetery there is a final resting place for ministers that includes the grave of Rev. Hermann Schulz (d. January 13, 1941), who was the minister of St. John’s from 1898 to 1921. In another section are seven graves, all in a row and marked by identical monuments. These belong to five confirmands and two young men from the
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16948.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical date for this entry is January 25, 1976.
Location. 30° 10.95′ N, 96° 34.832′ W. Marker is near Burton, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Old Mill Creek Road (County Road 25) 0.2 miles south of U.S. 290, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton TX 77835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burton Farmers Gin 1914 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Burton Farmers Gin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Burton Community (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of St. Paul-Rehburg School (approx. 4 miles away); Gideon Lincecum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Greenvine Gas Discovery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Greenvine Baptist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Greenvine Schools (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.