Near Lemay in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Jefferson Barracks Historic Site - Old Ordnance Room
Old Ordnance Room
The Old Ordnance Room was the first of two limestone buildings built in Jefferson Barracks for the purpose of storing gunpowder. It was constructed in 1851 by Master Builder Francis Quinette of St. Louis. The cost, just over $18,000, included the stone wall around the building. Some said that Quinette could not erect a quality building for that amount, but the building remains in use.
To the south of the museum building, but inside the compound, is a marker designating the area as a Blue Star Memorial By-Way. The marker was presented to St. Louis County Parks by the Mehlville Garden Club on September 12, 2004. The blue star symbol is taken from the World War II service flags that were displayed in thousands of homes during the war. The designation of a Blue Star Memorial By-Way is intended for parks and historical gounds, to commemorate soldiers who served overseas.
Most of the buildings in today's historic section of Jefferson Barracks are constructed out of limestone taken from a quarry east of the Old Ordnance Room. Limestone's unique physical
Reception Center #1772
During World War II this area was part of Reception Center #1772. From March 1941 until July 1943, more than 125,000 troops were processed through Reception Center #1772. The Center operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Forty officers and 311 enlisted personnel were assigned to staff this area. Their basic mission was to receive men from regional Selective Service Centers, process them, and equip them for transfer to a Training Center or a unit of Field Forces for basic training.
Some of the buildings in this area were 'Series 700' 63-man temporary barracks that were 29-ft. x 6-in. wide, 80-ft. long, and two stories tall. More than eighty men could be housed in each building using double bunks. During the early 1940s approximately 275 frame buildings were constructed at Jefferson Barracks; more than 150 of them were the 63-man temporary barracks.
The framing was wood platform construction spaced on 3'-0" centers. Wood joists and girders braced the floors. Windows were wood sash.
Erected by Friends of Jefferson Barracks and Saint Louis County Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, World II.
Location. 38° 31.156′ N, 90° 16.345′ W. Marker is near Lemay, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker can be reached from Bagby Road south of Gark Road. Marker is next to the Old Ordnance Room building, at a parking lot at Jefferson Barracks Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 Bagby Rd, Saint Louis MO 63125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Barracks Historic Site - Tent City (within shouting distance of this marker); A Longstanding, Strategically Central Military Post (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jefferson Barracks Historic Site - World War II Reception Center #1772 (about 400 feet away); Jefferson Barracks - At the Confluence of American History (about 400 feet Operation Desert Shield & Desert Storm (about 700 feet away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (about 800 feet away); Jefferson Barracks Historic Site - Visitors Center, Laborer House and Stable (about 800 feet away); Missouri Military Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lemay.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.