Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle Ground Academy
Founded in 1889 as Battle Ground Academy, the school was named for its original location across from the Carter House where the Battle of Franklin occurred in 1864. BGA, dedicated in an address by U.S. Senator William B. Bate, was founded on the principles of character, scholarship, and excellence. Popularly called the Wall & Mooney School and the Peoples School for its early headmasters, the original building was destroyed by fire in 1902. Rebuilt further south on Columbia Avenue, BGA flourished in various formats and remained for some ninety years.
(Continued on flip side) In 1996, the location of the Battle Ground Academy Upper School changed to its present site on Ernest Rice Lane off Mack Hatcher Parkway. In 2003, the Middle School joined the Upper School in this same location in brand new state-of-the-art facilities. These new facilities afforded the excellence in education and programs to continue. Additionally, in 1998, Battle Ground Academy acquired the former Harpeth Academy, and it became the BGA Lower School on Franklin Road. Currently, the school operates the two campuses and has three divisions - Lower School,
Erected 2010 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list.
Location. 35° 56.893′ N, 86° 51.558′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Ernest Rice Lane, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 336 Ernest Rice Lane, Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle Ground Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Glen Echo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Legacy Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Interurban (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grave of Midnight Sun (approx. 0.9 miles away); Retreat from Nashville (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Main Barn (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2020. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2020. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.