Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The West House

 
 
The West House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 24, 2007
1. The West House Marker
Inscription.  Sitting atop Malvern Hill only feet from the roaring line of Union cannon, the West House became an instant battlefield landmark. The original house dated from approximately 1831, but was rebuilt decades after the Civil War. The current structure is partly on the original brick foundation, and the entrance road is in its wartime location. The Wests owned a large farm and more than a dozen slaves to operate it.

Chaplain Edward Neill from Minnesota left a vivid account of the house and its occupants during the battle. When Confederate shells burst near the house, “The family with some of their neighbors, in consternation fled into the cellar, to which there was access by a large outside door. The head of the house in great distress inquired, ‘What shall I do?’ There was a dressing-table draped with red cloth, and I suggested that it be torn off and fastened on a long pole over the house, in the hope that it might alter the range of the shots. It was distressing to hear the moans and see the tears of the women in the cellar….
 
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park – National Park
Malvern Hill - CWPT image. Click for more information.
2. Malvern Hill - CWPT
Civil War Preservation Trust's efforts to preserve portions of the battlefield.
Click for more information.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
 
Location. 37° 24.807′ N, 77° 14.932′ W. Marker is near Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Willis Church Road (Virginia Route 156), on the left when traveling south. Marker is in the Malvern Hill Battlefield Unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9100 Malvern Hill Battlefield Terrain, Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seven Days Battles (a few steps from this marker); A Battlefield Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Battlefield of Malvern Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Malvern Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Artillery’s Terrible Effect (about 300 feet away); Battlefield Landscape (about 300 feet away); Southern Valor vs. Union Firepower (about 300 feet away); Malvern Hill (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
 
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker contains a picture of the West House. It has a caption of “Union staff officer Robert Sneden painted this view of the original West House. The vantage point is from the opposite direction, facing northwest. Image courtesy of the Virginia Historical Society."
 
Also see . . .
1. Malvern Hill. CWSAC Battle Summaries. (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 

2. Touring Richmond’s Battlefields. National Park Service website. (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Marker and the West House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 24, 2007
3. Marker and the West House Marker
 

3. Malvern Hill Battlefield Podcast. National Park Service website. (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 

4. The Seven Days Battle. HistoryCentral.com website. (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker on the Malvern Hill Battlefield image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 24, 2007
4. Marker on the Malvern Hill Battlefield
The marker can be seen in this photo near the group of cannons.
Artillery at the West House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 24, 2007
5. Artillery at the West House
Union artillery was placed in front of the West House, at the crest of Malvern Hill, during the July 1, 1862 battle.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,213 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   2. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4, 5. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=15197

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2021