Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Baylor College of Dentistry
Two St. Louis dentists, Dr. David E. Morrow and Dr. Thomas G. Bradford, began seeking a site in Texas for a dental college in the early 1900s. Although most Dallas dentists opposed a local dental school, others viewed the growing commercial center as an ideal location for what was called State Dental College, chartered in February 1905. Classes began on October 3 of that year.
In its first years, the school faced many challenges, including a national economic downturn in 1907. In 1915, however, members of the Dallas County Dental Society became involved with the college, agreeing to serve on an advisory board that oversaw operations and instruction. The school affiliated with Baylor University in 1918. Renamed Baylor University College of Dentistry, it shared resources with Baylor University College of Medicine, also located in Dallas. With a strengthened basic sciences program, the school gained national recognition and "Class A" accreditation.
In the 1940s, the college accelerated its program to graduate more dentists to aid U.S. troops in World War II. In 1943, the medical school relocated to Houston, taking with it many
The college separated from Baylor University in 1971 and became Baylor College of Dentistry. In the 1990s, it joined the Texas A&M University System as a charter member of its Health Science Center. Today, it is nationally recognized for oral health education, research, specialized patient care and continuing education.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13293.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
Location. 32° 47.372′ N, 96° 46.912′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Hall Street and Hall Street, on the right when traveling north on Hall Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3302 Gaston Avenue, Dallas TX 75226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of East Dallas (within shouting distance of this marker); Baylor University Medical Center (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilson Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of DallasLeadbelly (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sons of Hermann in Dallas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Sidney Pittman (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Additional keywords. 🦷
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.