Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1st Corps Headquarters
Army of the Potomac
— Major General Abner Doubleday —
1st. Corps Headquarters
July 1, 1863
Were located 230 yards S.E.
from here, near the pike
Erected 1913 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 1, 1863.
Location. 39° 50.134′ N, 77° 14.976′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Reynolds Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Located on the First Day Battlefield, north of McPherson Woods, in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 8th Illinois Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); First Division (within shouting distance of this marker); First Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); First Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery L, 1st New York Light Artillery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct 143d Pennsylvania Infantry (about 400 feet away); The Battle Opens (about 400 feet away); Monuments and Markers (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Also see . . . Reports of Maj. Gen. Abner Doubleday. Doubleday was in command of the Corps as Reynolds was commanding a "wing" of the Army. When Reynolds was killed in McPherson Woods, Doubleday had command of the field, at least for a short time. In his report, he explains the reasons for defending the ground north and west of Gettysburg:
There were abundant reasons for holding it, for it is the junction of seven great roads leading to Hagerstown, Chambersburg, Carlisle, York, Baltimore, Taneytown, and Washington, and is also an important railroad terminus. The places above mentioned are on the circumference of a circle of which it is the center. It was, therefore, a strategic point of no ordinary importance. Its possession would have been invaluable to Lee, shortening and strengthening his line to Williamsport, and serving as a base of maneuvers for future operations. (Submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,341 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4. submitted on July 17, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.