Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Monuments and Markers
"The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here."
President Abraham Lincoln
To ensure that succeeding generations would remember and understand what happened at Gettysburg, veterans of the battle, federal and state governments, and interested organizations erected more than 1,300 monuments, memorials, and markers on the battlefield.
Interest in monuments gained momentum in the 1880s, especially among Union veterans. Eventually, every Union regiment that fought here erected at least one monument.
Gettysburg's monuments are noted for their elegant bronze and stone sculpture, and for their unique and varied designs. More valuable, perhaps, is the information they offer about the soldiers and their positions, actions, and casualties - information based on soldiers' personal experiences.
Modern wayside exhibits describe historic features and events at tour stops.
War Department Markers
By 1912, the United States War Department had placed more than 350 tablets and markers on
Headquarters Markers are distinguished by cannon tubes pointed skyward. They mark headquarters locations of Union and Confederate army commanders (Generals Meade and Lee) and their corps commanders.
Battery Tablets describe the actions of artillery batteries. Union batteries normally contained six guns. Confederate batteries four guns.
Confederate Brigade Markers (round bases) describe the positions and actions of Confederate brigades. A brigade contained about 1,600 men, or 4-6 regiments.
Union Brigade Markers (square bases) describe the positions and actions of Union brigades. A brigade contained about 1,500 men or 4-5 regiments.
Confederate and Union state memorials commemorate all the soldiers from a particular state. Several of these memorials, like the Virginia Memorial shown here, feature bronze sculpture.
Generals and other notable persons associated with the battle are commemorated with bronze sculptures.
Most numerous on the battlefield, regimental monuments commemorate state and U.S. Regular Army
Pennsylvania and New York placed the most regimental monuments with 123 and 108 respectively. Confederate regiments erected few monuments at Gettysburg.
Flank Marker Look to the left and right of regimental monuments for small stones marking the regiment's flanks or ends.
Erected by Gettysburg National Military Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 39° 50.077′ N, 77° 15.021′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Reynolds Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Located at the east end of McPherson Woods in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle Opens (here, next to this marker); Battery L, 1st New York Light Artillery (a few steps from this marker); First Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Gen. John F. Reynolds (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Division (within shouting distance of this marker); First Division (within shouting 151st Pennsylvania Infantry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 8th New York Cavalry (about 400 feet away); 1st Corps Headquarters (about 400 feet away); 8th Illinois Cavalry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
More about this marker. The marker displays examples of the various types of monuments and markers discussed in the text. In the lower left is a sketch of a wayside exhibit. Under the War Department Markers section are photos of a headquarters marker, a battery tablet, and the two types of brigade markers. In the center are photos of the Virginia State Memorial, Major General Winfield S. Hancock's equestrian statue, and Father William Corby's bronze statue. On the right, a photo shows Survivors of the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry at the dedication of their monument on Culp's Hill, August 1886. Battle veterans assisted with the design, placement, and funding of monuments. Below the photo are examples of regimental monuments - the 96th Pennsylvania Infantry, 93rd New York Infantry, and 1st Maryland Infantry, U.S. Beside the memorials is an example of a flank marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,227 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 28, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 8. submitted on February 28, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.