Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Bilbo Jitney Line
In 1915, when public transportation was non-existent in the western part of Dallas, Victor Clifford Bilbo (1894-1968) began operating a jitney (small bus) line from downtown to Cement City, Gates, Sowers, Irving, and other outlying communities. Paying five cents per ride, passengers often sat three deep and hung on running boards of Bilbo's Model T Ford touring cars. He often took people to hospitals and funerals free of charge. In August 1927, because of new state franchise laws, the Bilbo jitneys were replaced by buses.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6596.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 32° 46.272′ N, 96° 50.164′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Seale Street and Sylvan Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Seale Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001b Sylvan Ave, Dallas TX 75208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Western Heights Church of Christ (approx. ¼ mile away); Western Heights Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Samuel David Dealey, Jr. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Trinity Presbyterian Church, USA (approx. 1.4 miles away); Frank Reaugh (approx. 1.4 miles away); La Reunion (approx. 1½ miles away); La Reunion Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of First Ferry and Bridge (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.