“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amsterdam in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Center of Operations

Center of Operations Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 8, 2020
1. Center of Operations Marker
Inscription.  Guy Park, Guy Johnson's manor house, was built here because boats on the Mohawk River offered the best way to move goods and people during the 1700s. Successive waves of transportation improvements - Mohawk Turnpike, Erie Canal, railroads, and Barge Canal - reshaped Guy Park and its surroundings. The house was originally built facing the river, but the back door became the front when the turnpike and railroad passed by the opposite side.

Manor House On The Mohawk
This site provided river access for the Johnson family's vast Mohawk Valley holdings and controlled the flow of goods between colonial traders and American Indians.
After the American Revolution, river improvements and turnpikes reinforced Guy Park's key location. The stone house became a popular inn along the Mohawk Turnpike. That role faded after the Erie Canal was built on the far side of the river.

Guy Park Grows Wings
Utica & Schenectady Railroad trains first steamed by here in 1836. By 1853 that line was merged with others as the New York Central - a railroad reaching from New York City to Buffalo and later Chicago. This remains
Center of Operations Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 8, 2020
2. Center of Operations Marker
There are two interpretive panels in the lower left of the photo above. The Center of Operations marker is the one on the left.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the busiest rail corridors in the country.
James Stewart, a prosperous canal and railroad contractor, bought Guy Park in the 1840s, and later added wings and porches. Ironically, Stewart was killed by an express train while crossing the tracks in front of the house.

Construction Headquarters
Guy Park served as construction headquarters for Barge Canal projects in this part of the valley from 1907 to 1918. Lock 11 took a big chuck of the yard and the rest was filled with derricks, boilers, and a blacksmith shop.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1700.
Location. 42° 56.794′ N, 74° 12.586′ W. Marker is in Amsterdam, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from W Main Street (New York State Route 5) north of Caroline Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Amsterdam NY 12010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Guy Park, 1766 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pvt. Frank J. Sirchia Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Amsterdam World War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Claus Mansion (approx. Ύ mile away); Sweet Canal Store
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. one mile away); Chuctanunda Terrace Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); Donato (Dan) Persico, Chief T/M (approx. 1.1 miles away); 5th Ward War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amsterdam.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2020, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2020, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Mar. 27, 2023