Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trenton in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Old Burial Ground

 
 
The Old Burial Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 9, 2020
1. The Old Burial Ground Marker
Inscription.  In 1849, Giles & Sophia Truax Slocum deeded this land to be held in trust to the Trenton Odd Fellow Lodge No. 33. In 1867, it was deeded to the Masonic Lodge, F. & A. M. No. 8. In 1918, the deed was transferred to Monguagon Twp. Here rest forty-four early pioneers, Civil War veterans, and Trenton's first doctor. The cemetery was once larger and the grounds unfenced. Townspeople objected to children from the adjoining "South" school playing among the tombstones, and reinternments occurred in 1874 and again in 1890. In 1929, the ornate fence was installed. Named the Odd Fellow, Masonic, and finally the Walnut Street Cemetery, it will always be known as the "Old Burial Ground". It is now maintained by the City of Trenton.

Gift from: Mr. & Mrs. David Reaume and family
 
Erected by Trenton Historical Society. (Marker Number 96-2.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 42° 8.315′ N, 83° 10.917′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Michigan, in Wayne County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of West Jefferson Avenue and West Jefferson Avenue/Fifth Streeet, on the left when traveling west on West Jefferson Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton MI 48183, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historical Shipyard Site (approx. ¼ mile away); First Trenton High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wagstaff-Duddleston Home (approx. half a mile away); Michigan Wyandot and Monguagon / Battle of Monguagon (approx. half a mile away); Times of Change (approx. one mile away); The Rucker-Stanton House (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Detroit River / Detroit River Recovery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Angus Keith House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
 
The Old Burial Ground and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 9, 2020
2. The Old Burial Ground and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152534

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024