Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The "Castle" as originally built, had three rooms on each floor. The rooms were not connected in any way, and each was entered from without.
The "Castle" was originally used for lawyers offices. The old present lawyers office building, on the East side of the Rockbridge Court House yard, is replica, in Flemish-bond brick of the plan of the original "Castle" building.
Many students lived in the "Castle", and some became quite prominent.
Prof. Hale Houston, some fifteen years before his death, remodeled the "Castle", and made it into two apartments.
At his death in 1945, Prof. Houston left the "Castle" to the Rockbridge Historical Society, where the meetings of the Society are to be held, and where the collected historical material is to be preserved.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 47.054′ N, 79° 26.485′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on South Randolph Street north of East Nelson Street (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 South Randolph Street, Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Castle, ca. 1790 (here, next to this marker); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stonewall Jackson House (about 300 feet away); Jackson's Garden (about 300 feet away); Rockaway (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.