Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Castle, ca. 1790

Historic Lexington

 
 
The Castle, ca. 1790 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 5, 2020
1. The Castle, ca. 1790 Marker
Inscription.  Andrew Reid, the first clerk of Rockbridge County court, built the Castle in the early 1790s to serve as his law office. Fortunately, he also kept the county court records here, and thus the heavy fieldstone walls protected them from the 1796 fire that destroyed most of the other buildings in town. In its long history, the Castle has also served as a blacksmith shop and boardinghouse as well as office space. The structure has been called a "castle" for most of its history, as is common with stone buildings. In 1947, Hale Houston, bequeathed the building to the Rockbridge historical Society to serve as its headquarters. In doing repairs, a coating of Portland cement was used to re-stucco the stone, and iron tie beams were placed between the gables and the front and back walls to reinforce them. There is a decorative "S" tie end anchoring the front, and two "H's" on the gables, perhaps referring to Hale Houston. The Rockbridge historical Society had its first museum here, before moving next door to the Campbell House in the 1970s. It now serves as lodging and office space and is officially named, "Hale Houston's Castle:. (Photo ca. 1930s)
 
Topics.
The Castle, ca. 1790 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 5, 2020
2. The Castle, ca. 1790 Marker
This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 37° 47.053′ N, 79° 26.486′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on South Randolph Street north of East Nelson Street (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 South Randolph Street, Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Castle" (here, next to this marker); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stonewall Jackson House (about 300 feet away); Jackson's Garden (about 300 feet away); Rockaway (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 26, 2020